potatoes are such a versatile ingredient. it makes a great canvas for delivering flavor and taste. 醋溜土豆絲 is a simple sichuan dish. it plays on the typical sichuan flavors of tangy and spicy.
there are two important steps here to ensure that the potatoes do not stick when cooked… soak them in water for over an hour and cook them for a short period of time. soaking helps remove any excess starch so the shreds wouldn’t stick together. cooking for a min or two prevents it from becoming mushy. the end result is a slightly crunchy and spicy dish.
potato 1 medium
salt 1 tsp
black vinegar 2 tbsp
- finely cut the potato into thin shreds
- soak the potatoes in water to remove the starch for at least 1 hr, change the water 2-3 times.
- when the soaking water becomes clear, strain the potatoes and put aside
- in a hot pan, add 3 tbsp of oil (generous amount of oil is essential, so the potatoes won’t stick together), and salt
- stir fry the potatoes for a couple of min, add the black vinegar and chili, mix well
Sounds delicious 🙂
Thank You! I’m so happy you’ve documented this humble but ridiculously delicious dish. Also very interesting bc I learned it from an inlaw who came from Hebei, not Sichuan. I wonder how broadly distributed this recipe is throughout northern and central China?