we were craving mussels today. however, fresh mussels are hard to find in hong kong. after visiting several nearby wet markets, we were out of luck… but we weren’t out of ideas. we opted to do clams with a thai coconut broth. oh yeah, we threw bacon in there too.
to us, having seafood is always festive. and what better way to share the fun than in fiesta friday!
clams 1 lb (1/2 kg)
bacon 2-3 strips
coconut milk 1 can (400 g)
lemongrass 2 stalks chopped
garlic 2 chopped
shallot 2 chopped
ginger 1/2 inch piece chopped
thai chili 1 chopped
oil 2 tbsp
sugar 1 tsp
fennel seeds 1 tsp
fish sauce 1 tsp
lime or lemon juice 1 tbsp
thai basil 1 sprig (optional)
- scrub the clams clean and soak them in water for an hour
- in a pot, add oil and cook the bacon until brown and crispy (set the bacon aside, but leave the oil in the pot)
- throw in the chopped lemongrass, garlic, shallot, ginger, thai chili, and fennel seeds; cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes to bring out the fragrance
- add the can of coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, and lime juice; simmer on low heat for 15 minutes
- (optional) strain the broth to remove the bits of chopped aromatics
- throw the clams into the pot, cook until they fully open (throw away the ones that don’t open)
- top with bacon and thai basil leaves
OMG! This recipe has amazed me! So original!
thanks, it’s one of our favs!
Topped with bacon, those sound like my kind of clams! Happy FF, and have a wonderful weekend. 🙂
happy FF to you as well!
I love clams with coconut broth! I did clams with coconut curry broth a few months ago and it became my new favorite! I love that you sauteed your herbs and included bacon!!! I’ve got to try this 🙂
bacon rules! haha
Wow, oh, wow! This dish just looks so exotic and tasty! 😀
I love everything about this recipe, thanks so much for sharing it at FF! 🙂
I love clams! And any fresh seafood actually. I’m intrigued by the addition of bacon in the Thai coconut broth, it sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing this festive dish with Fiesta Friday this week, enjoy the party!! 🙂
thanks! have a great weekend to you.
Pingback: Fiesta Friday #28 | The Novice Gardener·
I love clams and thai flavors! This dish sounds brilliant, thanks for sharing 🙂
Oh my… what a delicious dish! These flavours combined all sound incredible. A great addition to Fiesta Friday this week – thanks so much! 🙂
Truly delicious. Now I’ll have to add clams to next week’s shopping list. And bacon – truly inspired!
thank you! bacon makes things better haha!
ah that looks absolutely divine and so impressive as well …. definitely bookmarking.